Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time


St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Anchorage, Kentucky

If you choose you can keep the commandments, they will save you;
if you trust in God, you too shall live;
he has set before you fire and water
to whichever you choose, stretch forth your hand.

As spiritual heirs of Egyptian escapees we remember the frustration and humiliation of slavery. Jesus’ opponents were very sensitive on this topic: They answered him, ‘We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?’ (John 8:33)

But slavery is not the only kind of bondage to which human beings are subject. We often fall captive to resentment, envy, jealousy, rage, self-pity, lust, etc. Entire nations can tremble with fear over a few vague threats. Nearly everyone, at one time or another, has had to make decisions about compulsive behaviors including: smoking, alcohol, food, sex, illegal drugs, prescribed drugs, shopping, gambling and so forth.
I played cards last week. Father Pius was my partner, against Fathers Maurus and Ken Gering. They lost seven games straight and graciously thanked us for the evening. The next day I told both of them how much I admired their fortitude. I would have stomped out of the room swearing I’d never play this stupid game again. 93-year-old Father Maurus said he doesn’t worry about that sort of thing anymore. I should live to be so old!

The prophets and sages of scripture tell us time and again, “If you choose you can keep the commandments.” They are ideals but they are realistic ideals; meaning they are not outlandish or absurd. Asking a mole to fly is unrealistic; but asking a man to make a sacrifice is not, nor is asking a nation. 
The prophets excoriate the people and their kings because they know what the people refuse to believe, “You can keep the commandments! You can do justice. You can provide for the poor and needy.”
I heard a woman on the radio explain that she and her husband agreed to abort their first baby because the infant might have birth defects. She was sure she could not love such a child and would not risk having one; her husband agreed because he also felt she could not love such a child. I wonder if their second child was satisfactory. I wonder how soon that child will disappoint her parents and cause them to regret their decision to let her live. For that matter, can a couple with such low opinions of each other stay together?

I was fortunate to be born of parents who believed in God. Like all young couples they quarreled with each other, but like many young couples they fought for their marriage. With God’s help they made it work; and when God demanded more sacrifice they dug deep to pay for allergy shots and special shoes and medical care for their ten children. It was never easy for them. Like many people, had they seen in 1946 all the sacrifices they would have to make they would have said it can’t be done. 
But with God all things are possible. They knew that by faith; they proved it by experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.