Thursday, October 6, 2011

Thursday of the Twenty-Seventh Week in Ordinary Time




http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/100611.cfm

Then they who fear the LORD spoke with one another,
and the LORD listened attentively;
And a record book was written before him
of those who fear the LORD and trust in his name.
And they shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts,
my own special possession, on the day I take action.
And I will have compassion on them…


Catholics my age recall the book God kept of our good and evil actions. One side was written in gold ink, the other in black. I suppose that saved a lot of money since gold is expensive and there were fewer entries on that side of my ledger. 
In any case we can thank today’s prophet Malachi for the image. The Book of Revelation also took it up, though in both cases the book simply recorded those who were saved, and not the picayune failings of grade school children.
The Church still uses books, literally and symbolically for our records. When Franciscans take vows we write our names into the Profession Book, a symbolic representation of Malachi’s record book.

Scholars tell us that apocalyptic literature is by nature scary. It is filled with terrifying images of dragons and floods, warrior horsemen and so forth. But the apocalyptic literature that appears in our bible, though it sounds terrifying to the uninitiated, is reassuring.

Just as a parody mimics a particular genre to create comedy – as, for instance the movie Airplane satirized catastrophe films -- so did the biblical authors reverse the usual meanings of apocalyptic words and images to celebrate the Gospel. They weren’t writing satires but messages of hope; they used scary images to reassure. 
However, that subtlety often eludes the modern reader who thinks he can interpret the plain text of the Bible without interpretation. And so “The Book” becomes a doomsday book of God’s petty grievances against everybody.


Today’s gospel also offers reassurance. If a sleepy householder will finally respond to the persistent cries of his neighbor, God will all the more eagerly answer our prayers whenever we cry out to him. We should have no fear about that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.