Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday of the third week of Easter



“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me.

Today we begin a series of readings from the Last Supper Discourse of Jesus, one of the longest sections in the New Testament. At this point we have witnessed Jesus’ washing the feet of his disciples and learned of Judas’ betrayal. We have heard Peter’s pompous refusal to have his feet washed, his about-face invitation to Jesus to wash his whole body, and his declaration that he will lay down his life for the Lord. Finally we have heard Jesus’ prophecy, the cock will not crow before you deny me three times.”

And so we enter the fourteenth chapter with the bitter taste of betrayal in our mouths. It is good to hear Jesus’ reassuring word, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.” We have an expression, “Don’t worry about it.” but that advice rarely hits its mark. We still worry about it. 
With his words -- “Do not let your hearts be troubled.”-- Jesus is not blowing off Judas’ betrayal and Peter’s denial as if they’re of no importance. But his reassuring word should lead us past our shame and embarrassment (which are self-centered ego-traps) to faith in him: “You have faith in God; have faith also in me.”

That is such a huge leap for us. How do I get over self-concern and the experience of failure, to witness what is about to happen? Have faith in me means “Pay attention to me and get over yourself!”
But now that we have gotten over ourselves we should notice what else Jesus is saying: You have faith in God; have faith also in me. We have heard it before; we must hear it again. “The Father and I are one.” 

What you are about to see is the total submission, surrender and submersion of Jesus ("the Son") in God the Father. The honor, trust and love you have always given to God you must give to Jesus. “Have faith in me!” he says.

Centuries after John finished writing his gospel the Church would define the Trinity, using highly technical and difficult language. Some of the best minds in the world convened at Nicaea in 325 AD to write the Nicene Creed. Speaking the universal language of Greek they managed to settle upon a formula to describe our faith. A definition is a huge step in the right direction but it does not settle the matter. For all time we must struggle to comprehend the height and depth and breadth of God’s action in our world.  

Setting our fears aside, forgetting our selves and witnessing Jesus' Pascal Sacrifice are also huge steps in the right direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.