Thursday, May 31, 2012

Feast of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary


http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/053112.cfm


How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of the one bringing good news,
Announcing peace, bearing good news,
announcing salvation, saying to Zion,
“Your God is King!”
Listen! Your sentinels raise a cry,
together they shout for joy,
For they see directly, before their eyes,
the LORD’s return to Zion.

The passage above is from Isaiah 52:7-8, and not from today’s readings; but I think of it as we celebrate this feast of Mary’s visit to Elizabeth.
Two and half millennia after the victory at Marathon we still remember the joy of the runner who ran 26.2 miles to Athens and cried “Nike!” as he collapsed and died from the exertion. “We won!” If that good news was so important, how much more is the news Mary brought to Elizabeth.

How beautiful that little lady was, right down to her dirty little feet, to the eyes of her aging kinswoman. She announced peace to Zion, for Elizabeth and her husband Zechariah lived in Jerusalem (built on the hill called Zion.)
As she sang her Magnificat, she celebrated the victorious reign of our God-King, and the blessings God gives to the lowly, the hungry and the disenfranchised.
Elizabeth and Zechariah were the sentinels who raised the glad cry, together they shouted for joy as they welcomed Mary, bore first John the Baptist and learned of the birth of Jesus

Another ancient couple, Simeon and Anna, would welcome the Child to God’s city and temple:
For they see directly, before their eyes,
the LORD’s return to Zion.

Simeon completed the song when he sang:
Now, Master, you may let your servant go
in peace, according to your word,
for my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you prepared in sight of all the peoples,
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and glory for your people Israel.

And that is a victory song we still sing on occasion:
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord,
He has trampled out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored
He has loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword;
His truth is marching on.
Glory, glory halleluiah. 

1 comment:

  1. If I may, I'd like to share a woman's point of view on the Visitation. I remember what feelings it stirred in my heart telling another woman when I could say, "I'm pregnant." Especially if the other gal was pregnant too, there was such a bond, a sense of knowing, and a connection. Magnify that in Mary's and Elizabeth's circumstances. It makes sense to me for Mary to hurry to her cousin to share the joy, the excitement, the awareness of God's power, the uncertainity of the future, the fear of delivery, and hope of a new baby. Motherhood is being a companion to God; you are a direct part of creation. Mary, of course, would share that event in her life with Elizabeth, but she also shares that event with all mothers.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.