Friday, June 1, 2012

Memorial of Saint Justin, martyr



Beloved:
The end of all things is at hand.

Therefore be serious and sober-minded

so that you will be able to pray.

Above all, let your love for one another be intense,

because love covers a multitude of sins.

Today’s gospel begins with,
Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple area.
He looked around at everything….

His looking around is both ominous and portentous.  Obviously Jesus’ gaze was more than that of a tourist; more than that of a pilgrim. Of course we know Jesus has been there before. Saint Luke tells us he often went with his parents to Jerusalem. The city and its temple were familiar to him, as to every devout Jew. We rightly suspect that the Judge is appearing in this scene, for he is quite literally The end of all things.

Our English language handily uses the word end to mean both ending and aim or goal. A recent article by a young Catholic woman in America Magazine describes the difference between Islam and Christian religion. whereas the devout Muslim journeys toward Allah, the Christian knows God is always close at hand, especially in the person of Jesus. Rightly did Moses pray that God would travel with us, and rightly do we believe Jesus fulfills his prophetic prayer.

We are never far from Jesus, especially as we pray and serve and reflect daily. He is always on our minds and in our hearts.

My mother once told me she and Dad called their first son “Old Sober-sides.” These two extroverts didn’t know quite what to make this introverted child. I had a tendency to watch, study and keep my opinions close. I didn’t smile readily. Longfellow might have been describing me when he wrote: “Life is real! Life is earnest! / And the grave is not its goal….”

We can hope Jesus had a better sense of humor! “because love covers a multitude of sins.” But a certain amount of earnest sobriety helps to keep our hearts fixed on Jesus and open to all the possibilities of love.


What Jesus saw in the temple was a lot of distraction. God’s people had settled too readily into the business of religion, politics and daily survival. Even their meticulous attention to detail in the temple lacked the eager, charming love that God had always demanded. They were without spirit.

In the end we will be judged not for our sins but for our love. Indeed it covers a multitude of sins. 

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the distinction between Islam and Christianity. The reminder that we as Christians understand that God is with us is good. The understanding that Muslims are trying to get to God is a whole different approach. I am glad that Jesus lives among us.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.