Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/110812.cfm


"C'mon, brother!"
MSF Picnic
2012
We are the circumcision,
we who worship through the Spirit of God,
who boast in Christ Jesus and do not put our confidence in flesh,
although I myself have grounds for confidence even in the flesh.


Several years ago a woman of the parish, known as a prudish old maid with an aversion to all things sexual, asked me a question in reference to Acts 8:26-40, “What is a eunuch?” I took an unholy delight in answering her. 

Fortunately, we don’t encounter that kind of prudishness in the Bible; Saint Paul speaks frankly of circumcision. And he insists that his Christians at Philippi are “the circumcision” although they came directly from their pagan religions to Jesus, without benefit of the Jewish ordeal. It’s possible that many gentiles had been unconsciously waiting for this opportunity. They admired the Jewish moral code and had come to believe in the Jewish God but were not prepared for painful surgery. Saint Paul’s insight opened the door to the full knowledge of God. 

But there was probably some defensiveness among the gentile disciples. Older Christians would say they got off too easily. They needed Saint Paul’s fierce insistence that circumcision and the entire Law of Moses were irrelevant. Only faith matters. Only those who worship through the Spirit of God (and) boast in Christ Jesus and do not put our confidence in flesh can call themselves “the circumcision.” 

Paul adopts a prophetic utterance from Deuteronomy about circumcision: 

The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live. (Deuteronomy 30:6)
He used that ancient, cryptic verse as the key to an entirely new religion:
For a person is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is true circumcision something external and physical. Rather, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly, and real circumcision is a matter of the heart—it is spiritual and not literal. Such a person receives praise not from others but from God. (Romans 2:28-29)
In many ways this easier route to salvation is far more difficult. Circumcision was a physical assurance of God’s favor for all Jews, both devout and impious. Christians are not given such a sign. We have only our faith, which does not appear anywhere on the flesh. How do I know I am saved? How do you know I am saved? What assurance do I have? 

Is faithful attendance at Mass a sure sign? Or reliable generosity to others? Or personal piety? Or the memory of being caught up in the Spirit, or even slain in the spirit? Saint Paul will say,” even if I give my body to be burned…” I have no such assurance. 

The Pharisees came and began to argue with (Jesus), asking him for a sign from heaven, to test him. And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, ‘Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.’ And he left them…. (Mark 8:11-13) 
Scripture attests to various signs both good and bad: the mark of Cain; the sign on the forehead; by their fruits you shall know them, etc. But the only true sign, if one can call it that, is that circumcision of the heart, our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.