Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 505

Show your stuff!
at the MN State Fair
2012
Great and wonderful are your works,
Lord God almighty.
Just and true are your ways,
O king of the nations.
Who will not fear you, Lord,
or glorify your name?
For you alone are holy.
All the nations will come
and worship before you,
for your righteous acts have been revealed.


John, the Seer of Patmos, has promised to show us the things that are to come. That being the case, I read this song as the Praises of God sung by those who had won the victory over the beast when that Judgement Day arrives. 
This is the great crowd who will be gathered before the Lord and thanking God for the Righteousness of both his justice and mercy. The point is not whether each of us personally agree with the decisions God makes about each of us or any particular individuals. Remember that God will judge not only individuals, he will also decide about cities, counties, states and nations. 
And he will certainly not ask for your opinion or mine. Nor should we say, "I agree" or "I understand." If we have not learned to shut up by then, it may be too late! 
I met a woman once who said she didn't like the Grand Canyon. She said it was too big and it made her feel small. I was astonished, I didn't know one could offer an opinion about the Grand Canyon. 
Likewise, God's decisions about us are not subject to our approval. 
But I do hope and pray that I am caught up with everyone else in wonder and praise of the Mighty Works which God does, and especially of his Justice and Mercy. If God shows clemency to those I've regarded as wicked, So Be It! And if God decides that, after all the blessings God gave me, that I am not worth saving, so be it! Nonetheless, God and God's Ways are just and true
For you alone are holy.
All the nations will come
and worship before you,
for your righteous acts have been revealed."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.