Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday


Lectionary: 219

Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart,
with fasting, and weeping, and mourning;
Rend your hearts, not your garments,
and return to the LORD, your God.

Jews have their Day of Atonement; Muslims celebrate the month of Ramadan; and Christians of every stripe observe the season of Lent. To know our God is to know our own sin. It is to hear Isaiah’s plea, “Come let us reason together. Though your sins be like scarlet, they may become white as snow.” To know God is to heart the Baptist’s cry, “Look, there is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.” Abraham’s children agree upon our unworthiness to be so loved by such a good God. For that reason our history of suspicion, antagonism and violence is all the more appalling. It is, in fact, inexcusable.
Once again, to prepare our hearts to celebrate Easter, we place on our foreheads ashes, a sign of penance. Just as Jeremiah demanded that the Jews circumcise their hearts, the Church demands that we place ashes on our souls. It is good to assemble with the church on this day to share an external sign of remorse for our sins, but that is only a beginning. It is the first of forty days. The ashes must signify a deeper readiness to be swept into God’s disappointment, grief and sorrow.
We were made beautiful. We are delightful and irresistibly charming to God. He cannot take his eyes off us. He stands ready to give us inexhaustible gifts of joy. But we’re not interested. Oh, we’ll take his gifts but we want nothing to do with him. We’re too full of ourselves.
As I prepare for penance and the confession of my sins, I always notice the excuses piling up. I didn’t mean to; I couldn’t help it; I was too tired; it was someone else’s fault! Why do I fabricate this mountain of excuses when it only hinders God’s mercy?
Remember Adam’s defensiveness: “The woman whom you put here with me! She gave me fruit from the tree so I ate it.” With one masterstroke he blames God and the woman for his sin.
What if Adam and Eve had said, “I am sorry; I did wrong; I have no excuse; please forgive me?” The Original Sin was their eating the forbidden fruit; but it was made far worse by their excuses and their blaming -- each other, the serpent and God.
Penance is a practice and with Ash Wednesday we take it up again. It doesn’t come automatically. It’s not a given or a gimme. First we ask God to open our eyes. Make us aware of our sins. Then we ask God to help us see behind our excuses. How absurd they are! How we can't bear the sound of another's whining, and yet we do it ourselves.
Finally, we step into the sunshine of Easter glory with the sign of a cross on our foreheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.