Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday of the Second Week in Lent

Lectionary: 230
We have sinned, been wicked and done evil; we have rebelled and departed from your commandments and your laws. We have not obeyed your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes, our fathers, and all the people of the land. Justice, O Lord, is on your side...


In the ever-evolving world of spirituality, the current word is awareness. The votary seeks to be aware of what is happening within her and around her. Awareness is paying attention to the road while you drive. Even if you are listening to the radio or reciting your rosary you see and respond to things going on out there, because a moment’s inattention can be fatal. Awareness is watching your temperature rise during a difficult conversation and counting to ten before you respond. Awareness is honoring the feelings and sensibilities of people with whom you disagree. The list is endless, as is the challenge of awareness.

The Christian, especially during the Season of Lent, wants to be aware of his and her sins. This is a special privilege given to God’s chosen people, and we are grateful to the Jewish nation who introduced this awareness to the world.

The doctrine of sin can be confusing because it encompasses two different definitions. On the one hand, sin recognizes the reality of evil. Human beings choose to do wicked things, and they often know these acts are wicked. Any normal human being knows the difference between right and wrong. This "natural law" is the foundation of all civilized society. It’s not a revealed doctrine; it’s just common sense. Murder is evil; adultery is wicked; stealing is wrong. Only a person who has given himself over to Satan would disagree with that.

For the Christian and the Jew, sin also marks the boundaries of our covenant with God, “Thou shall not...!” (Muslims have not retained this theology of covenant.) Because we belong to God and are called to be holy as God is holy, we have certain obligations beyond the Natural Law. We cannot worship an alien god; we must show mercy to “widows, orphans and aliens;” we must “keep holy the Sabbath”; and so forth. These rules don’t apply to everyone in the world and the world cannot discover them by deep introspection. They’re revealed to us by the Lord who has set us aside to be his Beloved People.

The Spirituality of Awareness reminds us that we miss a lot of what is going on. It can help me to recognize both my duties and my neglect of duties, which is sinful. Awareness reminds me of what people around me expect, and that I may select a response from many possible reactions.

For instance, I might realize my outdated habits offend younger people, and I should change my ways. For example, I don’t call anyone over fifteen a girl. Women can call each other girls; men cannot. Young lady is more acceptable. I can live with that!

An awareness of sin, sinful tendencies and sinful desires, and a readiness to atone for all behaviors both wicked and foolish help us to adjust gracefully to the 
world around us. 

We were, after all, sent to be a blessing, not an embarrassment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.