Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time





The movie Fat Man and Little Boy, about the making of the first atomic bomb, described, with the tragic death of one scientist, the radiation poisoning that would kill thousands of people. He had carelessly set up an experiment with enriched uranium and when the contraption collapsed he grabbed it with his hands. He paused to make some calculations on the chalk board and then told his students, “You will be okay, I think. But I will die.” Within hours he was mortally ill, his body swollen and grotesque. In his story we saw the fate of thousands in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.


Today’s gospel gives us another synecdoche in the story of the rich young man. Personally invited to follow the Lord, “he went away sad, for he had many possessions.” We hear the same story in today’s first reading about a whole nation:


The children of Israel offended the LORD by serving the Baals.
Abandoning the LORD, the God of their fathers,
who led them out of the land of Egypt,
they followed the other gods of the various nations around them,
and by their worship of these gods provoked the LORD.

In Jesus' sadness for the young man and in the story from the Book of Judges we see the intense concern that God has for each of us and all of us. Unlike human efforts to care for half of humankind by destroying the other half, God delivers each of us from evil through the blood of one man, even as that Man is raised in glory -- if we will only believe in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.