Friday, August 23, 2013

Saint Rose of Lima


Lectionary: 423

But Ruth said, “Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you!
For wherever you go, I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge,
your people shall be my people, and your God my God.”


This text has recently graced our wedding ceremonies but it originally describes the loyal affection of a young widow for her mother-in-law.


Ruth was a Moabite, meaning she was not a Hebrew and knew nothing of the Hebrew religion or God. She lived in her native land of Moab with Naomi, her husband’s mother, who was a displaced alien. After a series of tragedies Naomi had little recourse but to return to her distant home and live among her own kin.


To her surprise, Ruth elected to go with her. This young widow had better prospects in her own country but she abandoned all that to travel with her dear mother-in-law.

Sometimes, following our hearts rather than everyone's expectations, we set out for a faraway place to worship someone else’s God. We must leave the familiar and the predictable and risk everything on rumors we have heard of a more prosperous land with a more loving deity. In that foreign land we will have to learn the language of the people, their customs, songs, food and ethics. 


Occasionally we might slip into the old ways, with its alien morals, frightening imagery, and disregard for human compassion. Christians will look at those odd behaviors and wonder what to make of them. Should they ignore the relapse or point it out? Should they humor our strange attitudes toward the different, the unattractive and the defenseless? If they remain true to the Sacred Kingdom in which they live we will soon feel strange indeed. With gratitude we'll turn away from the old ways of our former life, thank them for their gentleness and do penance for our sins.


Citizens of the Kingdom of God, we will sometimes feel like Naomi, a faithful woman in a strange land. And sometimes we'll feel like Ruth, strangers in paradise. In time our affection for the saints will transform our hearts. We will be fully adapted to the ways of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.