Sunday, August 25, 2013

Twenty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 123

I will set a sign among them;
from them I will send fugitives to the nations....




The word fugitives in today's first reading catches my attention. Various translations read it as survivors or refugees. 

We should read this passage in its original context, as written by the third author of Isaiah. By that time Jerusalem had been leveled by the Babylonian army and its population scattered throughout the known world. They remain in that "diaspora" to this day. They were refugees from disaster but they carried their love of God with them. For the Lord had promised, "I myself will go along, to give you rest.

I am reminded of Saint Paul's long-awaited arrival in Rome, as a prisoner of the Empire. Hobos riding the railroads  brought the Gift of Tongues to Protestant congregations throughout the United States, inspiring the Pentecostal movement. 

It is only appropriate that missionaries of the Crucified Lord should go to the world as refugees. Well-financed missionaries can announce the Gospel of Prosperity and Success.They can help people build sturdier homes; teach literacy, hygiene and nutrition; and organize effective political parties; but the brokenhearted wayfarer who washes up on some distant shore, receives the hospitality of strangers and blesses them for their kindness will be the more effective evangelist. 

In his letter to the Galatians 4, Saint Paul refers to some kind of ailment, possibly of the eyes, and how he received such kindness from them: 
...you know that it was because of a physical illness that I originally preached the gospel to you, and you did not show disdain or contempt because of the trial caused you by my physical condition, but rather you received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. Where now is that blessedness of yours? Indeed, I can testify to you that, if it had been possible, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me.
Apparently his helplessness, which may have included a disgusting condition, and their generosity prepared the Galatians to hear the Gospel. 

The Roman Catholic Church in the United States has been hugely blessed by the influx of refugees from all parts of the world, including Ireland, Italy, Germany and Eastern Europe. They came looking for opportunity and security; they brought faith, hope and love with them. 

One time in Ireland I was asked to celebrate a mid-summer Sunday Mass. I took the opportunity to thank the congregation for keeping the faith through centuries of English persecution. I reminded them that the Potato Famine of the 1840's had become a harvest of plenty for the United States, as Catholic men and women and families migrated to the new world. Ireland and Malta, the only English-speaking Catholic countries, have sent lay and clergy missionaries to all part of the world.  

I know from experience how hard the missionary life can be. I lived in Australia for a year and a half, and in Louisiana for seven years. Neither are missionary territory in the exact sense, but I was far from my family, friends and community. I had much to learn about their ways. When I didn't offend people by my simple ignorance of their culture, I hurt them by the shortcomings of my virtue. But I also found the Spirit of Mercy, Courtesy and Hospitality in those faraway places and I was given many friends. 


Let us pray that God will continue to send refugees and fugitives to faraway places to announce Grace and Peace. 

And let us add a prayer that he will send them to our parishes and neighborhoods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.