Friday, September 13, 2013

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 441


I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and an arrogant man,
but I have been mercifully treated
because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief.




Recently, very early in the morning, I approached out coffee maker. I lined the basket with one paper filter, snipped open the packet of coffee and poured it into the basket. Then I replaced the basket in the rack, turned on the heat and turned on the water flow. 

When I came back a few minutes later I discovered I had not placed a carafe to catch the coffee. I spent the next ten minutes cleaning up the mess. Fortunately all the spilled coffee was contained in a tray -- perhaps I wasn't the first to make a mess of things -- so it was not difficult. 

Then I reenacted the ceremony, this time with a glass carafe to catch the precious liquid. 

I noticed only much later that I had neglected one other thing. I did not blaspheme, swear, curse, or heckle myself. I did not call myself an idiot, fool or nincompoop. I used to do that a lot, for every little mistake. In those days it wasn't much fun to be me. When I goofed up this time I just checked the time -- I had enough -- and took care of business.  

Saint Paul, in his letter to Timothy, recalling his early religious enthusiasm, also refrained from abusing himself. Despite his early resistance to the Christian Way, and his abetting the murder of Saint Stephen, he treated himself mercifully for he had been mercifully treated

He kept his eyes on Jesus. He paid attention to what the Lord says and does, and to what the Lord does not do. He does not violate people, not even the wicked and the violent. 

I find the Lord's Way a lot more pleasant than my old way. It takes a lot of practice and a fair amount of grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.