Friday, September 27, 2013


Memorial of Saint Vincent de Paul, Priest
Lectionary: 453




This is the pact that I made with you
when you came out of Egypt,
And my spirit continues in your midst;
do not fear!
For thus says the LORD of hosts:
One moment yet, a little while,
and I will shake the heavens and the earth,
the sea and the dry land.
I will shake all the nations,
and the treasures of all the nations will come in,
And I will fill this house with glory,
says the LORD of hosts.



Lovers of Handel's Messiah will recognize Haggai's prophesy, taken from his spiritual ancestor Isaiah and given new meaning by the Letter to the Hebrews:
I will shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. I will shake all the nations,
As the impoverished Jews gazed upon the pathetic little temple they had built and remembered the splendid Temple of Solomon Haggai added another layer of meaning: 
and the treasures of all the nations will come in,
What is going on
in that little mind? 
Saint Matthew, in his turn, recalled Haggai's treasures of all nations: the magi presented gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh as they worshiped the Lord of Heaven and Earth, who was cradled in the arms of Mary -- she who is the New Temple and the New Jerusalem. 

In the ruins of Jerusalem and the arms of Poverty the Eye of Faith sees the Glory of God and the Wealth of Nations. What is best off all: no one can steal this Treasure from us! 
And in this place I will give you peace, says the LORD of hosts!
As we celebrate Saint Vincent de Paul and the good work his Society still does for the poor, we thank God he has taught us where to find true wealth. We also thank God for Pope Francis who insists that we reorder our values, customs and institutions to care for the needy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.