Friday, September 20, 2013

Memorial of Saints Andrew Kim Tae-gŏn, Priest, and Paul Chŏng Ha-sang, and Companions, Martyrs

Lectionary: 447


From these come envy, rivalry, insults, evil suspicions, and mutual friction among people with corrupted minds, who are deprived of the truth, supposing religion to be a means of gain. Indeed, religion with contentment is a great gain. For we brought nothing into the world....





American Christians are all too familiar with those who suppose "religion to be a means of gain." I distrust any marketers who tell me they are christian just as I avoid anyone who tells me he is honest or generous or humble. 

But apparently a lot of people fall for it since "christian marketing, which began in the 1980's, is still with us. 

How does the Spirit respond to Christian marketing? Saint Paul says, "Religion with contentment is a great gain." We are content with what we have. Sufficiency satisfies. 

What pleases the Christian, besides the practice of our religion, is good relations with our families, friends, neighbors and colleagues. We don't need enemies. We don't create enemies. We pray for those who hate us. We strive to be reconciled with them -- that our joy might be complete

Money is a good thing, too much money is not. 


Strive for peace with everyone, and for that holiness without which no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one be deprived of the grace of God, that no bitter root spring up and cause trouble, through which many may become defiled... (Hebrews 12:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.