Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wednesday of the First Week of Advent

Lectionary: 177

My heart is moved with pity for the crowd,
for they have been with me now for three days
and have nothing to eat.
I do not want to send them away hungry,
for fear they may collapse on the way.”


Often, when we see hurting or hungry people we create ways to avoid any sense of responsibility. I have found myself thinking, “They are used to suffering.” or “They brought it on themselves.” Perhaps I feel unable to help; more likely, I am unwilling. In any case I choose not to respond and then I generate a thought to justify my decision.

In today’s gospel we hear Jesus’ response, “I am moved with pity for the crowd….” Something must be done and somebody has to respond. Jesus doesn’t attempt to justify inaction; rather he allows himself to be moved to action.

The promise of Christmas is a promise of fullness. There is enough! You may not know it or believe it but God and our mother earth provide enough for all people.

On this mountain the LORD of hosts
will provide for all peoples
A feast of rich food and choice wines,
juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines.

If famine and starvation were inevitable in the ancient world, without the means of rapid transportation and instant communications, they are no longer so. Today we lack only the will.

Knowing that, however, does not alleviate our helplessness. Hunger persists, along with poverty, illiteracy, illness and crime.

Philosophers who debate whether there is a God miss the point entirely. We need a God to move us to compassion, to overcome our ennui and drive us to effective action. Clearly, nothing will happen without God’s spirit moving us to say, “I am moved with pity for the crowd….”

Christmas is a great time for token gestures of solidarity with the poor and needy. Volunteers for the Salvation Army spread across the land; churches distribute food baskets, used clothing and toys; charities conduct special appeals. The federal government gets in the act, providing a tax write-off for charitable donations.

These symbolic gestures remind us of God’s promise but they do not fulfill it. That will come when we decide to do with less so that others might have more.

Then he took the seven loaves and the fish,
gave thanks, broke the loaves,
and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds.
They all ate and were satisfied.
They picked up the fragments left over–seven baskets full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.