Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wednesday of the Second Week of Advent




“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest. 
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves. 
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”



Following yesterday's reassuring word, "Comfort, give comfort to my people" we hear today how Jesus has taken that mission upon himself. He invites us to himself saying, "I will give you rest."

People in distress often say, "The Lord will never test you beyond your endurance." 
God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.  (I Corinthians 10:13)
But sometimes we push ourselves beyond our strength and think that it is God's will. We set out with a determination to accomplish something which appears to be good and necessary, but we have not listened for the gentle, guiding Spirit of God. 

That's when Jesus says, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me." 

We have to step back from that project and ask, "What is my investment in this? Why is this so important to me? Is that what God wants or what I want?"

That simple moment of reflection might be all the Lord needs to fine tune our aspirations to fit his will. Perhaps this needs to be done, but not tonight. Sometimes all the Lord asks of me is to get out of the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.