Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 244


Then he returned to Cana in Galilee,
where he had made the water wine.




The day after Laetare Sunday we are still in festive mood as we hear the Prophet Isaiah and  Saint John’s Gospel.


Isaiah’s prophecy sounds the note of the day, 
Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth…

I was not enthusiastic about Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ, but there was one moment that almost made it worthwhile. That was when the suffering Lord said to his Mother, “See, Mother, I make all things new!” In that incident we saw Jesus’ freedom, generosity and joy. 
The things of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind.

Is it better to forgive or forget? When I discuss this with the wounded souls in the VA substance abuse program, they generally agree we should not forget. You don’t get over injuries by forgetting about them, neither the physical or psychological kind. We must remember and allow the forgiveness to come upon us.
But, eventually, with healing we do forget old hurts. When they’re called to mind years later, we often don’t remember why we got so upset.  God remembers everything of course. History cannot be erased. But the grace of God allows us to see the blessings that emerged unexpectedly and undeservedly from even heinous crimes.



For I create Jerusalem to be a joy

and its people to be a delight;
I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and exult in my people.

In the spirit of Isaiah, Jesus promises joy to his betrothed. Today’s gospel recalls Jesus’ changing water to wine, an extraordinarily happy event. Something new and unexpected is happening. Not only is it amazing that water becomes wine; it is delightful that the joy of marriage, which seemed exhausted and spent, has been revived with the excellent wine of the Holy Spirit. 


See, I make all things new. 

1 comment:

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.