Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 346

Is anyone among you sick?
He should summon the presbyters of the Church,
and they should pray over him
and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.
The prayer of faith will save the sick person,
and the Lord will raise him up.
If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.




As a hospital chaplain I read this passage daily and several times a day. The ritual cites Saint James as the authority who sends me to the Veteran to "anoint with oil in the name of the Lord."

Veterans, who are mostly male, are like most American men. They have bought into the myth of individuality. "I am the captain of my soul" until sickness strikes. Then we need other people.

I am convinced the only reason we are still on this earth is our willingness to care for one another. When the deer, the beaver or the robin gets sick, there's not much her fellow beasts can do for her. The wounded or sick is left to die or recover without help from others. They are usually found by predators; either larger animals or voracious insects.

But we human beings do everything we can to restore the health of our sick. It's in our genes. We protect them from animals and germs, we clean up their mess; we create medicines, assist with therapy and, when necessary, perform surgery. We have been creating medical care for one another since prehistoric times, with some success. If we cannot cure them we try to ease their physical and spiritual suffering.

The rugged individual may enjoy his fantasy as he roars over the highways in his manufactured-in-Detroit-by-thousands-of-people sports car, but he will eagerly rejoin us when he gets sick.

And we will welcome him back into human solidarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.