Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday of the Third Week of Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 321

“This is how it is with the Kingdom of God;
it is as if a man were to scatter seed on the land
and would sleep and rise night and day
and the seed would sprout and grow,
he knows not how.
Of its own accord the land yields fruit,
first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear.
And when the grain is ripe, he wields the sickle at once,
for the harvest has come.”



A good story has a beginning, middle and end with a large dollop of drama. The drama arouses curiosity in the listener's or reader's mind. How will this story end? Will this hurdle be surmounted? Can anything good come of this predicament? The audience must wait for the resolution. 
In today's first parable we find a beginning, middle and end -- but where's the drama? This has all the suspense of a children's bedtime story. If you feel comfortable with this story of a farmer and you fall asleep before it ends you won't have missed anything
So what's wrong with bedtime stories? 
I like the reassurance of this story. 
The Lord has everything in hand. 
Who is the farmer? It might be the Lord. Or it might be me, or you. But it doesn't matter because this is a story about the Kingdom of God and we're doing his work while he does ours. 
Do you know how the kingdom of God will come about? 
Neither do I. 
But that's okay. The older I get the less I know about outcomes and consequences. If I ever thought I could predict the future, I realize now the future I foresaw has passed. That train has left the station; the ship has sailed. 
But I am all the more sure of God's fidelity. If he sent me out to sow seeds then a harvest will certainly come. When hardly matters. 
I am grateful for the part I have been given. 
The only thing better than satisfaction for a good night's sleep is gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.