Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Wednesday after Epiphany

Click on the collect
Lectionary: 214


There is no fear in love but perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment, and so one who fears is not yet perfect in love.

If you want to do something perfectly stupid, act in fear. Warriors know this. They are trained to manage their fear and respond intelligently even when the situation seems overwhelming and hopeless. They might retreat but they don’t flee. They may duck for cover even as they plan their next move.

The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave has responded to “terrorists” with paralyzing fear. Although these news-making barbarians have had little real impact on business or commerce; although economies have risen and fallen regardless of wars in the Mideast or bombings in Europe, security occupies center stage in our national consciousness. The more remote the danger, the greater our fear.

And -- the more we react in fear the closer we bring the threat upon ourselves.
This preoccupation of the majority with fear has given the wealthy an ideal cover to amass ever larger fortunes – because the more immediate the danger, the less attention we give it. The gravest threat to our American way of life is not terrorism; it's disparity of wealth. The "Nation of the Middle Class" is disappearing before our eyes.

Jesus invites us to live without fear in the real world of constant threat and frequent danger. That’s easy to say. Everyone has a good reason to remain fearful. They object with but…, but… and but….

This is why Saint Paul will urge us to “Put on the armor of Christ” which is neither medieval suits of armor nor bullet-proof vests but the fearlessness of Jesus who leads us to Jerusalem, Calvary and Easter by way of the Upper Room.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I never thought of it in this way. I really need to look at the things I fear in my own life. There is a self-help book called "Face the Fear and Do It Anyway." I have a long way to go. I need God.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.