Thursday, September 7, 2017

Thursday of the Twenty-second Week in Ordinary Time


Jesus said to Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men."
When they brought their boats to the shore, they left everything and followed him.


We often hear reassurances as the gospel appears. The angel who surprised Zechariah in the temple, Mary in Galilee and Joseph in a dream told each one, "Do not be afraid."
    Again today, we hear those same words spoken to Simon Peter. But in this case, the reassurance is threefold. It is about what has happened, is happening and is about to begin. The apostle has been astonished by a great number of fish; he is awed by the presence of the Lord in his battered old fishing boat; and he will be a "fisher of men." If the first two are amazing, the third is staggering.
    This fear is the beginning of a new way of life for the tradesman. If his life so far has been about familiar matters like fishing nets, wooden boats, canvas sailing, weather conditions, water temperature, tides, and the price of fish, his new life will concern the mysteries of the kingdom of God. If he has been an expert, a master fisherman, he is and will remain throughout the rest of his life a beginner, a novice in the art of pastoring people.
    He will often recall Jesus' initial command, "Do not be afraid." Nothing about apostleship, missioning or priesthood makes sense without that reassurance. Peter will always know and will be often reminded that he knows nothing and is spiritually incompetent.
    Who is he to tell people how to live? They will ask and he will ask himself that question. But, like the Ancient Mariner, he will be compelled by the Holy Spirit to speak of Jesus to family, friends and strangers near and far.
    They will ask, "What does this mean for me? How should I feel, think and act now that I have accepted the Gospel?" He'll make suggestions but, ultimately, he will not know. Like Saint Francis he will say, "I have done my part; may God show you yours."
    He will see a group take form around him and wait on his leadership. As a fisherman he would have known immediately how to command them. He might have said, "Put out to the deep!" or "Cast off the starboard side!" but now he will have to wait on the Impulse of the Spirit to guide him. Skills mastered in the past mean little in this new, still unfolding future.
    "Do not be afraid." "I am with you." This is our new way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.