Friday, September 15, 2017

Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows

Lectionary: 441/639

At the cross her station keeping,
Stood the mournful Mother weeping,
Close to Jesus to the last.

Through her heart, his sorrow sharing,
All his bitter anguish bearing,
Now at length the sword had passed.

Oh, how sad and sore distressed
Was that Mother highly blessed
Of the sole begotten One!


The Latin poem Stabat Mater Dolorosa is generally attributed to Franciscan friar Jacopone da Todi, although this has been disputed. It is a fine example of religious lyric in the Franciscan tradition. It was inserted into the Roman Missal and Breviary in 1727 for the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary, celebrated on the Friday before Good Friday. Following changes by Pope Pius XII, it now appears on the Feast of Our Lady's Sorrows celebrated on 15 September. wikipedia

[Forgive me if I crow once in a while about our Franciscan heritage. It was quite a movement in the 13th and 14th centuries. Jacopone, a nickname meaning "Crazy James" was part of the excitement.] 

On the day after the Exaltation of the Cross, (it seems to me) the Church might more appropriately celebrate the Ever Glorious Virgin Mary. But I suppose we do that anyway, in many ways. Our Franciscan province celebrates Our Lady of Consolation in October. That title seems to fit today's memorial. 

In Carey Ohio, where I was ordained, there are two altars on either side of the main altar. On the left side is an image of Our Lady of Sorrows. It is a pieta image. The marble Virgin sits in desolation above an altar; below the altar is a marble image of Her dead son. That altar doesn't get much attention; I've not found a photo of it on the website or the facebook page. Pilgrims go immediately to the right side of the basilica and the more familiar image of Our Lady of Consolation, a dressed statue with many fabulous clothes which are changed periodically. 

But Mary is the Consoler of the Afflicted because she has suffered the death of her Son. Saint Paul described that mystery at the beginning of his second letter to the Corinthians:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all encouragement who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God. For as Christ’s sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow. If we are afflicted, it is for your encouragement and salvation; if we are encouraged, it is for your encouragement, which enables you to endure the same sufferings that we suffer.
Because we have suffered much, we comfort others. Veterans sometimes remark about the calm I bring to them as they tell me their sorrows. They might be surprised by it; I needn't tell them my own particular story; they haven't come to meet the chaplain. But I recognize what the grace of God is doing in my presence. God has encouraged me in every affliction so that I may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction. 

It is not an extraordinary grace. Many people entering the church on a Sunday morning find the reassuring presence of a congregation around them. They cannot imagine what sorrows the faithful in that room have suffered; there are too many stories to tell in a year! But the consoling grace manifests itself. 

Our Lady of Sorrows is Our Lady of Consolation; Our Lady of Prompt Succor, and the Consoler of the Afflicted. We honor her with many similar titles because she too has been exalted with Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.