Sunday, September 3, 2017

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 124

Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.


    A successful politician in a democratic government must continually conform to this present age. To represent her or his constituency the professional detects shifts in public opinion and mood continually. Are we friendly to immigrants right now, or unfriendly? Do we want more jobs or cleaner air? Prisons or rehab? Education for children or health care for seniors? Maintenance of old infrastructure or development of new technologies?
    Depending on the public mood, this professional sensitivity to the shifting attitudes of the electorate will be seen as spinelessness or genius. Politicians of rigid opinions and fixed policies will not remain in office long enough to effect change, no matter how moral their agenda. But those who are reelected through many cycles will have successfully adapted to the changing climate. They might even effect the changes they envisioned early in their careers, though by then the public might have lost interest in it. Only the most alert citizens will show up at the dedication of the new bridge, factory or rehab facility to congratulate the visionaries.
    Last week we heard Jesus ask about public perceptions of his ministry., "Who do people say I am?" And then he asked, "Who do you say I am?" We heard Saint Peter respond, "You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God?" Jesus was delighted with that response, and remarked that he had received this wisdom not from men but from "My heavenly Father."
    But today we have heard Saint Peter with his new confidence step into it. Apparently he thinks he can advise Jesus as one politician to another, "God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you." He earns a severe rebuke from the Master for his trouble.
    Peter, you and I must be reminded often, "Your ways are not my ways, nor are my ways your ways."
    Very often, it seems, we are astonished by what happens and admit that we never saw it coming; and then, in retrospect, we say, "Of course, this was inevitable! How could it be otherwise."
    Can you imagine the United States today if Hilary Clinton had won last November? As bad as things are now, I suspect they might have been worse as the losing candidate continued to challenge her legitimacy, as government remained gridlocked in partisan opposition, as the NRA joined forces with Neo-Nazis and KKK sympathizers. Perhaps we're better off with a so-called-president. This infection had to come to a head and be recognized by an aroused electorate.
    For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, my thoughts higher than your thoughts.
    Saint Peter wanted to avoid crucifixion at all costs, even as Jesus rushed toward Jerusalem. In a similar context, Saint Thomas said, "Let us also go to die with him.” We don't know where this road is taking us today. We only know that Jesus is leading us on this road to salvation.

1 comment:

  1. Transformation. Conversion. Fidelity. I have these words on my mind.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.