Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Tuesday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 504

"See that you not be deceived,
for many will come in my name, saying,
'I am he,' and 'The time has come.'
Do not follow them!
When you hear of wars and insurrections,
do not be terrified; for such things must happen first,
but it will not immediately be the end."


"Dog bites man. That's not news. Man bites dog. That's news."

Recently I heard an expert on terrorism remind the radio audience to be afraid when mass killings don't make the news. Fortunately they still do. Traffic accidents, tax evasion, drug busts: they're not news. They're absorbed into the daily comings and goings of a busy city. Exercise ordinary precautions and you'll be reasonably safe.
There are no effective precautions against mass shootings and truck drivers who intentionally run down pedestrians but they don't happen that often so don't worry about it.

The entertainment industry drives a lot of fear, sometimes quite intentionally. "Be afraid!" they say, "Be very afraid." That line first appeared in the film, "The Fly." It's great fun for some people; the rest of us can get on with our fearless lives.

Advent is about to begin. It will be short this year. Christmas is upon us. This is no time to cower in fear. Rather lift up your heads and expect to see the King of Glory enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.