Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 487

In the same way, everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions cannot be my disciple."


We are possessed by our possessions. The Lord would set us free. Yet we are fearful for we have invested so much of Self in our possessions we think we might disappear or be annihilated if they are taken from us. A piece of myself goes with my possessions!
That's a nice thought when I give someone a gift; not so pleasant when it's stolen from me. How dare they take mine from me, or me from mine?
We fear death because it is the ultimate dispossession. Stripped of everything we will stand before the Judge.We sometimes remind one another, "You can take nothing with you when you die." 
Some people believe there is no life beyond death. Perhaps they are really saying, "Because there is no ownership beyond death there will be nothing to live for!" 
But we often feel confined and trapped among our things. There is just too much stuff.
A few weeks ago I saw an old McCain/Palin bumper sticker that read, "I'll take my freedom, gun and money and you can keep the change!" As I walked past I thought, "You can have your guns and money but you've lost your freedom. You're possessed by your possessions."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.