Saturday, November 4, 2017

Memorial of Saint Charles Borromeo, Bishop


For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.


Periodically the Church reminds us of God's irrevocable covenant. When Saint John Paul II visited the United States he was asked about the extraordinary number of priests who had left the ministry. In the wake of the Second Vatican Council some priests, unable to cope with a changing church, had simply quit; and Pope Paul VI had freely dispensed them. The new pope changed the policy, slowing the process and making it more difficult. He insisted that God does not take back the gifts he has given. They are, as Saint Paul said, "irrevocable."

The same irrevocable applies to marriage so long as either party is alive. The Church recognizes that some civil marriages are not sacramental, but a marriage that fits the ordinary, time-honored definitions of marriage resembles the irrevocable covenant God has made with his people. If the man and woman are of age, freely consenting to the marriage, free of other constraints (i.e. not already married to someone else) and willing to receive the gift of children, God honors their wedding vows -- even if they don't. 

God's irrevocable gift is the anchor human beings need to find themselves in a changing, confusing world. Many "baby boomers," entering their seventh decade are still searching for their identity. Ambivalent about "institutions" and "labels" they hesitate to be called husband or wife, father or mother. Their children wonder when life will begin to make sense. The boomers then blame their children for having no ethical standards, as if they aren't their own children.

Baptism, Marriage, Religious Life and the Priesthood invite us to experience the life of God and the intense love of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. These vows give us divine authority over our selfish fears and enervating doubts. We become the living stones of God's cathedral, dependable and resilient and beautiful.

On his way to Jerusalem and Calvary, Jesus assured us, Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me... And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me...

His word is irrevocable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.