Thursday, November 1, 2018

Solemnity of All Saints

When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain,
and after he had sat down, his disciples came to him.
He began to teach them....

Finishing the prehistory of Jesus and his ministry -- his genealogy, birth and exile, sojourn in the desert and call of the first disciples -- the Evangelist Matthew arrives finally at the first of his teachings. We should notice who heard this inaugural sermon, who was ready to hear what Jesus would say -- the crowds.
Today we celebrate a smaller crowd, that cloud of witnesses, who were found among those coming to Jesus. They distinguished themselves by their readiness to persevere in the race that lie before them.
They were initially drawn to him by the Holy Spirit who gave them an intense curiosity about Jesus. They had to know more of his teaching even at the risk of associating with the mobs of outcasts, aliens, lowlifes, and oddballs who surrounded him. Each of them would have to admit, "I too am damaged goods, unworthy of the esteem I am accorded." They would have to strip off the virtuous appearances that came with their stations, and shed their aspirations to rank and privilege. It wasn't enough to say, "I am only human;" or "...sinful like anyone else." They would have to confess with the Pharisee, "I am the least of all, not fit to be called an apostle." Indeed, I am the "worst of sinners​​." After long association with the crowds who came to hear Jesus, they would "smell like sheep​."
The saints understand their blessedness is unearned and undeserved even as we admire them for their courage and integrity. They have learned humility through humiliation but will always be the last to claim such a virtue. Offered recognition, esteem or awards they simply defer to Christ. They cannot refuse recognition because that would only draw attention to an ego that no longer exists; but they can politely shake off their titles as they turn their attention to more important chores, like the service of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.