Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time


Do everything without grumbling or questioning,
that you may be blameless and innocent,
children of God without blemish
in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine like lights in the world,
as you hold on to the word of life....


I write this blog well ahead of the news cycle, and cannot know how the elections turned out yesterday. The Good News remains with us in good times and in bad; it is, as Saint Augustine said, "ever ancient, ever knew."
In today's first reading, which we hear as yesterday's events settle into history, Saint Paul urges us to be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish.
There is never a good time to do evil; the ends do not justify the means. Experience often proves that, if the short term gains of evil means are satisfactory, the long term consequences are devastating. If there was a single decision that sent us over the cliff it was the Supreme Court decision of January 22, 1973. It was supposed to free women from the burden of unwanted children. But the widespread practice of abortion has spawned two generations of chronic drug abuse and suicide among the children who were allowed to live. This medical violence invited gun culture and school shootings. It didn't have to be this way.
But the Christian does not expect to live in a Christian nation or culture. We are sent from afar into an alien world to shine like lights as we hold on to the word of life. We draw our inspiration not from popular movements around us but from the Spirit within us.
Saint Paul offers himself as an example of how his disciples should live:
I rejoice and share my joy with all of you.
In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.
Our joy is anchored not in this morning's new cycle. It does not fluctuate with the economy or political movements. It does not flow in fair weather, or ebb during natural catastrophes. Our joy is renewed each morning as we reenter prayer and reemerge to practice faith. During an especially bleak moment in our history, the Prophet Baruch reminded himself and us:
The thought of my wretched homelessness
is wormwood and poison;
Remembering it over and over,
my soul is downcast.
But this I will call to mind;
therefore I will hope:
The LORD’s acts of mercy are not exhausted,
his compassion is not spent;
They are renewed each morning—
great is your faithfulness!
The LORD is my portion, I tell myself,
therefore I will hope in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.