Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thanksgiving Day 2019


I give thanks to my God always on your account
for the grace of God bestowed on you in Christ Jesus,
that in him you were enriched in every way,
with all discourse and all knowledge,
as the testimony to Christ was confirmed among you,
so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift
as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

In today's second reading from First Corinthians, we hear Saint Paul thanking God for the "grace of God" which we enjoy as Church and in Christ Jesus. That grace is the very essence of God; it is God's life, courage, generosity, confidence, and joy drawing us to prayer and community. It animates our work with one another, and assures us of meaning and purpose when the work is frustrating, difficult or disappointing. 
Which of us would not like to have more information as we approach every major decision, and more assurance as we decide and act? Always there is the threat of failure, the possibility of being wrong, of being shown as a fool. We live continually with the anxiety that accompanies freedom. 
But Saint Paul assures us, "...in him you are enriched in every way, with all discourse and all knowledge..." 
If I cannot see the future, and all the consequences of all my decisions, the Holy Spirit can. The Lord sends that Spirit to guide us in all our decisions. We can move with confidence through every trial with our Father's support. Even those decisions and policies that have been revealed as badly conceived missteps are forgiven by the endless mercy of God. For that we may be grateful.
How this will all end, how my efforts might contribute to God's overall plan of salvation, I can not imagine very well. I am especially blind to see how some of my awful behaviors and actions might be atoned in God's plan. Can the damage be repaired? Can the "damaged goods" of my life be rendered beautiful? 
But then, who could suppose that a crucifixion of a Galilean could lead to universal salvation? Only a God of the Unexpected can work such a miracle. If there is a logic to that story, it is a plot line too complex for comprehension. 
As we celebrate Thanksgiving, counting our blessings and considering the bountiful harvest which we enjoy at the end of autumn, the Christian puts ahead of this world's satisfactions the grace of God bestowed in Christ Jesus
We thank God for thanksgiving, for without that grace the we might gain the whole world and despair of any happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.