Friday, November 1, 2019

Solemnity of All Saints 2019

Lectionary: 667


After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands. They cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation comes from our God, who is seated on the throne, and from the Lamb."


Halloween is a good celebration if, for no other reason, it calls attention to "All Hallows," the Feast of All Saints. With the end of the year upon us, that season of death and judgment, heaven and hell, we should remember our Blessedness. 
For no particular reason that you or I could discover, the Lord chose us for his own. We were not the elite of the intellectual world, nor of the strongest, prettiest, or best families. And certainly not especially virtuous. 
Nor should we dwell overmuch upon that. If the thought encourages us to think modestly of ourselves and our accomplishments, it's useful. I tell children, on the rare occasion that I preach to children, "If someone tells you to cultivate your self-esteem, don't walk, run. Get out of there! You've got better things to do." 
The world will not be a better place for my being here. 
The world is a better place for the Lord's birth, death, and resurrection; and for his commissioning us to go into the whole world, announcing the Gospel and baptizing disciples of every nation.
On this solemn feast day, like the Feast of Pentecost, we hear our marching orders: "Blessed are the poor in spirit...." 
The Beatitudes are not Jesus' remarks about the world and its people. They're not casual observations, nor even astute insights into the mysterious ways of God. They're certainly not hopeful prophecies about the way things should be. He never dealt in shoulds.
Rather, the Beatitudes describe our manner of life. The Holy Spirit moving in us guides us in this direction. 
The same Spirit teaches us to look to one another for inspiration. Whom do you admire as a good example of poverty of spirit; of graceful, selfless mourning; or of meekness which is nonetheless present, beautiful, and fascinating? Who in your family, church, friends or acquaintances, is hungry/thirsty for justice; and also merciful -- that is patient -- toward opposition? 
If you don't find edifying role models in your church, it's probably not their fault. You weren't sent to that church to show them how to be Christian! 
On this Feast of All Saints we thank God for drawing us into the Communion of Saint despite our sins. If I have found the reason why God called me to this fellowship, it's my unworthiness to be here. 
Love bade me welcome. Yet my soul drew back
                  Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
                  From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
                  If I lacked any thing.
A guest, I answered, worthy to be here:
                  Love said, You shall be he.
I the unkind, ungrateful? Ah my dear,
                  I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
                  Who made the eyes but I?
Truth Lord, but I have marred them: let my shame
                  Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, says Love, who bore the blame?
                  My dear, then I will serve.
You must sit down, says Love, and taste my meat:
                  So I did sit and eat.
                                    George Herbert 1593–1633

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.