Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary 487

Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; 
for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.


If we're ready, after all the heavy work of the first twelve chapters of Saint Paul's Letter to the Romans, to rest in God's word, to contemplate the glory revealed, there is no better mantra than, "Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another."
Love is righteousness. It is grace, holiness, and faith. It is the essence of God becoming my essence. It must discipline and direct my thoughts, attitudes, words, and deeds. I am as ready to say no to my desires as to say yes to what others want of me. The ancient monks called it apatheia, a divine indifference which is ready, eager, and obedient to God's spirit.
I am convinced that whatever we build without God's purposes must collapse almost before its completed. But every human project inspired and directed by God will bear "substantial" fruit, even if like the consecrated host its "accidents" disintegrate in time. No church building lasts very long; but the Church, which is built on the Rock of Faith, lasts forever. Even as this wonderful verse, in English, would have been indecipherable to the Apostle and his readers, the Word of God is clear, clean and beautiful to every generation when the Holy Spirit interprets for us.
In today's gospel the Lord urges us to have the right attitude as we set out with him for Jerusalem:
Which of you wishing to construct a tower
does not first sit down and calculate the cost
to see if there is enough for its completion?
The freedom he would give us does not come easily to our complicated, deceitful hearts. No matter how attractive the offer, we enter Communion with the Lord with reservations, hesitations, and hidden agendas. We may deny them or overlook them but they're there. Which of us doesn't say at some point along the road to Jerusalem, "If I had known this, I would have chosen differently?" There are many moments when we sit down, cool our heels, rest our legs and ask the self, "Should I continue?" And we'll probably ask the Lord, "Why aren't we there yet?" as if he should explain it to us.
It is good to ponder Romans 13:8 and the beauty of Paul's teaching. We're not there yet, but we're on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.