Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Solemnity of the Most Holy Trinity

Lectionary: 164

God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.



With the disintegration of community, churches, families, and marriages in our society, Christian spirituality has rediscovered the symbol of the Holy Trinity. Where the cult of the individual isolates and abandons, the Triune God reminds us that we belong deeply and intimately to one another. We are saved together or not at all. This witness is validated even by a pandemic which shows us there is nothing particularly sovereign about myself or my body; I am vulnerable to disease like anyone else. My "too, too solid flesh" might well melt before the week is out. 
At the heart of reality is the One God of three persons with an intoxicating variety of sacred names, including Giver, Given, and Giving. And yet there is only one Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 
Our gospel today reminds us that "God is Love and those who abide in love abide in God, and God in them." The same gospel signals the depth of love with which God has loved us, and the inviting challenge that we too must give more than we can afford. Believing in him is more than a matter of opinion, or even a firm conviction. It is an eager desire to lose everything I have amassed and to surrender everything I have been given for the sake of communion. 
Compelled by the Spirit, I will readily give away my overrated individuality only to discover that it is returned splendidly -- only to be surrendered again. The carefree bachelor becomes the thoughtful spouse, to become an anxious young parent and then the wise grandparent, a model of cheerful confidence in a troubled world. 
This back-and-forth giving and receiving resembles the oblation of the Mass, in which we give to God the gift we have received. Indeed, we miss the Mass altogether if we do not present our whole being to worship the Father of Jesus. 
If I would give more than I can afford I must also realize I cannot give enough. My all is not nearly enough. Try as I will, I do not surrender everything. But if my gift is divinely inspired, God supplies the difference. 
The doctrine of the Holy Trinity tells us of God's superabundant generosity, good measure, flowing over, poured out in excessive prodigality. The universe and its presumptive multiverses can neither contain nor match God’s majesty, especially as we have seen it in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.