Thursday, June 4, 2020

Thursday of the ninth week of Ordinary Time.


Lectionary: 356


Jesus replied, “The first is this:
Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.


As I understand, the Shema is the most important statement of Jewish belief. Devout Jews recite it at least twice a day as a morning and night prayer. And it is the core of Jesus’ faith. If we embrace Jesus as our Savior and Lord we must necessarily echo with equal enthusiasm and devotion his credo, “The Lord our God is Lord alone!”
In these afflicted times, assailed as we are physically by a pandemic, and spiritually by polarization and its violence, I fear that many people begin each day with, “I am a Democrat!” Or “I am a Republican.” Or …libertarian, …environmentalist, or …pro-lifer. Their first thought is not the Lord.
To begin each day with the Shema, I must remember that my life and being and existence are maybe. Only God exists absolutely. I am not necessary. My life is but a moment in time. My opinions are not important. If I would make anything of my life, I must love the One-Who-Is with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. If I value my life – and many people don’t – I will cling to the One who makes my life invaluable.
See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God. Yet so we are…. Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we shall be has not yet been revealed. We do know that when it is revealed we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope based on him makes [themself] pure, as he is pure.
Our daily prayer is an act of purification. This re-consecration, rededication, or “morning offering,” is as necessary as food and hygiene. If I cannot begin the day without washing my face and brushing my hair, I certainly would not greet anyone without first saluting the One who has honored me with life and mercy.
With that beginning, I am ready to imitate Jesus, practicing his second commandment, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” I might have been tempted, without that “first and greatest commandment” to think I am more important than my neighbor! That would be hell on earth. Praise God who saves me from myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.