Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Tuesday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 360


You are the light of the world. 
A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.”



As Christians we do not hesitate to call Jesus "the Light of the World." We celebrate his light shining in darkness especially in December, when sunlight is brief and the night prevails. Saint Matthew describes his light as the star seen by the Maji; and then later as a great light seen by a people who sit in darkness. 
Recently we have seen certain areas highlighted on maps as researchers trace the Covid-19 epidemic. The Evangelist uses a similar technique to describe the coming of the Lord to Capernaum. 
He left Nazareth and went to live in Capernaum by the sea, in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali, that what had been said through Isaiah the prophet might be fulfilled: “Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the way to the sea, beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles, the people who sit in darkness have seen a great light, on those dwelling in a land overshadowed by death light has arisen.”
The same light appears differently in the Sermon on the Mount as Jesus declares, "You are the light of the world."
The gospels and other New Testament writings consistently describe Christians as the presence of Jesus Christ in a godless world. When he sends us from Jerusalem to the ends of the earth he sends us beyond neither himself nor his Holy Spirit. We are his body, shining like a tableau of the Transfiguration. 
When I was in Minnesota as director of a retreat house, I consulted with a fundraiser who told me the most effective way to raise money is to present oneself as changing lives and making a difference.  We were not expected to maintain things the way they are. The people of God won't support that effort. If they support your retreat house, school or parish it's because you're shining in darkness. You bring hope to despair and confidence to insecurity. You channel peace in a desert of violence. 
Jesus' commission to us is the same as his own. We are a light in darkness, a city on a hill. If we were overcome by gloom in the night, we rise from our daily prayers like the rising sun,
But this I will call to mind; therefore I will hope: The LORD’s acts of mercy are not exhausted, his compassion is not spent; They are renewed each morning—great is your faithfulness! The LORD is my portion, I tell myself, therefore I will hope in him. Lamentations 3  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.