Thursday, July 23, 2020

Thursday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 398

The disciples approached Jesus and said, “Why do you speak to the crowd in parables?”
He said to them in reply, “Because knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted. To anyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; from anyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away.


The twelfth verse of Matthew 13 -- "to anyone who has, more will be given..." -- might pertain to wealth, power, friends, influence, skills, or experience. The saying is universally applicable and not limited to spiritual matters. It might express cynicism or despair, a resigned observation concerning wealth and poverty. The Bible has much to say about that.  

In the context of today's gospel, it is specifically about "knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven." The word knowledge concerns more than a grasp of the facts. A person may accumulate many facts -- they can be piled up like wealth -- and still lack knowledge or wisdom. 
Christians understand this distinction if they recall Mary's question of the angel, "How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?" 
Knowledge in that sense is a personal relationship. "Knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of heaven," then, means knowing and being known by the Lord. Those who know the Lord grow in that knowledge while those who do not must disappear like shadows before the sunrise. 
In today's gospel, Jesus recalls Isaiah's mission: 
Go and say to this people:  Listen carefully, but do not understand!  Look intently, but do not perceive!   Make the heart of this people sluggish, dull their ears and close their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and their heart understand, and they turn and be healed.
 
“How long, O Lord?” I asked. And he replied:  Until the cities are desolate, without inhabitants, houses, without people, and the land is a desolate waste.  Until the LORD sends the people far away, and great is the desolation in the midst of the land.  If there remain a tenth part in it, then this in turn shall be laid waste; as with a terebinth or an oak whose trunk remains when its leaves have fallen.

Jesus does not, in this instance, say his mission is different than Isaiah's. We like to think the Gospel unites people, reconciling their differences and instilling peace in their troubled hearts. But sometimes the gospels direct our reflection toward different thoughts. Sometimes opponents "reconcile their differences and instill peace" in preparation for war against a common enemy. Their accord is not the Kingdom of God. Today's reading recalls the two-edged sword which separates those who know the Lord from those who do not. It divides parents and children, churches, peoples and nations. 

In the VA hospital, my assignment is to visit the Catholic patients. The Irish have a saying about Catholics, "Here Comes Everybody." The designation Catholic tells me little about the Veteran. But over many years I have got to know my people. Some Catholics are happy to see me; others are indifferent or disinterested. Some practice their faith; many do not. 
Do  you blame me if I gravitate toward the practicing Catholics who are happy to see me? I try to make time for all but some take more time than others. Those who welcome my visit will receive another; those who do not might never get another chance. 
This proverb which obviously applies to nonspiritual matters, speaks also of the spiritual life. Opportunities are lost, windows are closed, and people lose what little faith they had. If there were such a thing as ideal in the spiritual life, those who welcome me and those who don't would be treated alike! But the Gospels say nothing about ideals

Jesus urges his shepherds to go in search of the lost sheep. I do that often in the VA; that's my job. But I can do nothing for the goats who prefer their bewilderment. Perhaps, when the cities are desolate, without inhabitants, houses, without people, they will receive a priest, if there are any priests still in the desolate waste


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.