Friday, October 30, 2020

Friday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 483


“Who among you, if your son or ox falls into a cistern, would not immediately pull him out on the sabbath day?”


We can read today's gospel in the traditional way, as Jesus's critique of Pharisaic Judaism. With that reading we can maintain our sense of superiority over Jews. 

We might do better to understand his ministry as  prophet, and invite the rebuke upon ourselves. We should ask what he is saying about how we use the law to avoid doing justice. 

The United States has more citizens incarcerated than any other nation, and a higher percentage of its citizens than any other nation. Is that because a Christian nation should punish its citizens more severely than less religious nations? What is happening here? 

Also, a disproportionate number of our prisoners are poor and black. Is that because poor people are stupid and don't obey the laws; or because "white people" systematically apply the laws in a cruel, unjust manner? 

Rather frequently, some of my "friends" post celebrations of their whiteness on Facebook for my approval. One told the touching story of a white cop who pulled over a white Veteran "who looked like my son," so that he could give him a hug. As it turned out, the young man suffering PTSD needed a hug. So does this officer of the law pull over every vehicle with a Veteran bumper sticker to give him a hug, or only young white men? 

This story was not "shared" in support of "our veterans;" there was something else going on.  

Another post bragged that he had never been harassed by a cop. "Share if you can say the same!" they invited. I replied, "You've never experienced racism, have you?" 

It's easy to boast how you've never been convicted of a crime when you belong to the privileged class. It's fun to boast how you won the game and prospered when your friends made the rules. 

The Bible has much to say about racism, for those who know how to read it. I think especially of Exodus 2: 8 -- "Then a new king, who knew nothing of Joseph, rose to power in Egypt."

The Pharisees are still in power. They are us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.