Monday, October 19, 2020

Memorial of Saints John de Brébeuf and Isaac Jogues, Priests, and Companions, Martyrs

Lectionary: 473 

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from you; it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so no one may boast. For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them.


A fellow told me recently that he left the Catholic Church to join a mega-nondenominational Christian church because (he learned there) that we are not saved by our works but by faith. 

I don't remember ever hearing a Catholic preacher or teacher, or reading a Catholic article or book, that said "we are saved by our works and not by faith." 

Apparently the poor fellow, suffering mild dementia, was hoodwinked by a neighbor into believing a Protestant falsehood about the Catholic Church. In his better days, he would not have been conned like that. 

There is something false about the phrase non-denominational. It suggests that the difficult teachings of Christ and his church don't matter; it's more important that we agree to agree without disagreement, which we can do so long as we don't think too deeply about anything. 

Saint Ambrose of Canterbury, following the teachings of Saint Augustine, said, "I believe so that I may understand." (Credo ut intelligam.

"And I do not seek to understand that I may believe but believe that I might understand. For this too I believe since, unless I first believe, I shall not understand."

Unlike the critic who thinks he might come to faith by reason -- and never arrives -- Ambrose began his contemplation of divine mysteries with the confidence that God is trustworthy and his word is beautiful, delightful, and comprehensible to those willing to hear. Even apparently difficult mysteries like the Virgin Birth, the Eucharist, and the Trinity thrill the mind as they enthrall the heart. How could they not by true?  

Likewise, the Roman Catholic Church is trustworthy; if it is not the Word of God was lost centuries ago, even before the we wrote, edited, collated, and published our Bible. 

On this Monday in October I hear Saint Paul telling us that we are "created in Christ Jesus for good works that God has prepared in advance." We will see and hear these good works -- these mighty works -- and will also do many great works:

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. 

We might wonder about a Christian who does none of these great works; who neither acts charitably, nor prays confidently, nor cooperates with anyone, but nonetheless insists he is saved by faith! I don't think so. It may sound right to those who do not follow faith to understanding, but it doesn't pass the test of common sense.

Receiving the Word of God we are charged with God's spirit and ready to do whatever works God directs. For some (few) it leads to a life of contemplation in a monastery or hermitage; for most it leads to active engagement with others in the roles of family, neighbor, colleague, member, and citizen. We find joy and satisfaction in the Mighty Works God effects through us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.