Sunday, December 13, 2020

Third Sunday of Advent


I rejoice heartily in the LORD, in my God is the joy of my soul; for he has clothed me with a robe of salvation and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem, like a bride bedecked with her jewels.


The Third Sunday of Advent has long been called "Gaudete Sunday," a Latin word meaning "Rejoice." The simpler explanation: we're more than halfway through the penitential season of abstaining from from favorite foods, praying more and giving alms. The more spiritual explanation: with our attention focussed on the Coming of the Lord, we can allow ourselves to anticipate the joy of his arrival. 

"The greatest penance," a wise woman told me, "is to rejoice." Even as we fast, ask for mercy, and make extra efforts to practice mercy, we can act with faith in the Lord who inspires us to these mighty works. 

There is great joy and freedom in considering my sins and realizing, "I have a choice. I don't have to act that way!" It is the Lord who enables our choice; I am helpless without God's particular attention. He enables, encourages, and energizes me to do what I have thought impossible. 

When the addict says, "I will try to abstain." I know they'll use the stuff again. Because God doesn't try to do anything; God acts. And the Holy Spirit acts within us. When we surrender our life and will to the care of God, then we can act according to God's will. 

This year of 2020, and perhaps 2021, will be remembered as the era of the pandemic. Our resources have been strained, our willingness tested, and our assurance undermined. We have seen great unrest, especially as the poor suffered the greater losses. Many who feel their voices are ignored in public decisions, who are told, "Trust us, we know what we're doing!" have lost confidence in civic and societal leaders. Scientists have failed to inspire hope as they cannot speak with certainty about an effective cure for Covid-19. Very often experience has proven those who speak-as-if-they-know are, in fact, clueless. No one can say how long this will last, or what the world will be like when it finally ends. 

The Spirit comes to us today and says, 
Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing.
In all circumstances give thanks,
for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.
Do not quench the Spirit.

Anyone can rejoice when they get what they want and confidently demand more. Only those who walk in the Lord with his Spirit to assure them can rejoice under these circumstances. We don't know where we're going but we know God is going with us. 

If there is something we need to know, we will be informed in plenty of time. If there are fearful things ahead, we'll face them with courage when they arrive. If we must give more than we're accustomed to give, we'll know, "There's plenty more where that came from." If we must grieve we will do it with no loss of faith in God. 

We will build up one another with a deep sense of humor: "God is always good and today -- He's better!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.