Tuesday, December 29, 2020

The Fifth Day in the Octave of Christmas Lectionary: 202

Lectionary: 202


Whoever says he is in the light, yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother remains in the light, and there is nothing in him to cause a fall. Whoever hates his brother is in darkness; he walks in darkness and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.



I met a man who clearly loves the Lord, his family and church, and his ministry. He is a very pleasant conversationalist, enthusiastic, dedicated, and fun to be around. But I noticed in several conversations about society, religion, and politics, when one particular subject came up, he went ballistic. He raged against the diabolical conspiracy those people have introduced into American life.


I basically agreed with him but I wanted to say to him, "They're here to stay. How can we invite them into communion?" I never had the opportunity; he did not want to hear another point of view. Not even a more nuanced agreement.


Besides the Pandemic, 2020 has forced us to look at the threads of hatred woven into our attitudes, habits, beliefs, and customs. When minority groups appeal to the majority for understanding and sympathy, some people respond with shocking demonstrations of mocking contempt. I recall three “white” men reenacting the killing of George Foreman while waving an American flag. Despite its appalling crudeness, the scene appeared on a major news broadcast.


That trio represented an unapologetic violence that finds encouragement even among practicing Christians. They would say to Saint John that they are “in the light,” and would deny that they “hate” anyone. They might say they were injecting humor into a moment of tension. They certainly thought it was funny.


Were he to listen to me for spiritual advice, I would say this to my friend: 


In his Salutation of the Virtues, Saint Francis insists that all of the virtues which come from God -- excluding those that human societies might praise without God's endorsement -- accompany one another. His Salutation begins: 

Lady, holy poverty, may the Lord save thee with thy sister holy humility! O Lady, holy charity, may the Lord save thee with thy sister holy obedience! O all ye most holy virtues, may the Lord, from whom you proceed and come, save you! There is absolutely no man in the whole world who can possess one among you unless he first die. He who possesses one and does not offend the others, possesses all; and he who offends one, possesses none and offends all; and every one [of them] confounds vices and sins.

No one should suppose that they stand well enough in God's sight if they habitually neglect any of the virtues. It is not enough to love one's family and despise a neighbor, or vice versa. It is not enough to do one's civic duty while neglecting hearty support of the Church. It is not sufficient to avoid adultery while secretly practicing lust. He who offends one virtue possesses none and offends all. 

The Virtues are a family. You cannot expect to insult my brother or sister and not offend me.

Whoever says he is in the light, yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother remains in the light, and there is nothing in him to cause a fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.