Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Tuesday of the Third Week of Advent

 Lectionary: 188 

On that day you need not be ashamed of all your deeds, your rebellious actions against me; for then will I remove from your midst the proud braggarts, and you shall no longer exalt yourself on my holy mountain. But I will leave as a remnant in your midst a people humble and lowly, Who shall take refuge in the name of the LORD....


A Christmas Carol is only one of many stories built around a familiar plot, the humiliation of the proud. I suppose most of us hear the story and take a vicarious pleasure in watching the high and mighty brought low. Only occasionally, in moments of particular grace, do we realize, "That's my story." 
The Prophet Isaiah, during this Advent Season, offers us that kind of moment when he offers a word of reassurance, "you need not be ashamed of all your deeds, your rebellious actions against me." 
December and Christmas offer us endings and beginnings. Endings invite us to look back and remember, and in the Lord we remember the One who called us out of darkness into light. Which is to say, "There were dark moments, many of them." and, "Thank God, he saved me!" 
I met a fellow recently who told me of the fist fights he won. I've met gamblers who told me how much money they won. Neither party tells me of their losses. 
I remember mine. I might even tell the stories to select friends on rare occasion. They are the "rebellious actions against me" of which the LORD speaks. 
I don't brag of them; nor do I hide them. Nor am I especially ashamed though I do feel regret. And I wonder. "What was I thinking?" The word is chagrin -- "distress or embarrassment at having failed or been humiliated." 
But grace urges and prompts me to gratitude. Thank you God for saving me; Thank you God for showing me the foolishness of my ways; Thank you God for teaching me a better way; and Thank you God for giving me the courage and wisdom to walk in your way. 
"You need not be ashamed," the Lord says. He might add, "You can if you want to be ashamed, but it's not necessary; and it won't do you any good. There are no browny points for that. Let it go!" 
We should often remember the mighty works of God. I think of the parting of the Red Sea, the Manna from heaven, Jesus walking on water; his feeding the multitudes, and most importantly, his Resurrection. 
But it's also good, on occasion, to remember the "mighty work" that only I and my most intimate friends can retell -- the astonishing day when the LORD broke through my adamantine willfulness and persuaded me to obey him. I was sure it would never happen; I believed it could never happen. It did, and praise God for that mighty deed. 
December is for remembering and thanking God. Christmas is for looking forward and waiting with eager confidence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.