Thursday, October 28, 2021

Feast of Saints Simon and Jude, Apostles

Lectionary: 666 

Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God. When day came, he called his disciples to himself, and from them he chose Twelve, whom he also named Apostles: Simon, whom he named Peter, and his brother Andrew....


I often hear people declare they are "spiritual but not religious." To which I reply, "I read the Bible; I am religious; thank God." 

I have no idea what they mean by spiritual, but it seems to mean they don't like people; they will never agree to work with, share prayer with, or believe in people. That doesn't augur well for society in general, nor any form of governance. 

The Church testifies often to the organized religion of Jesus. He had many admirers; he preferred seventy-two disciples; of those he chose twelve apostles; among them the most trusted were Peter, James, and John; and he chose Peter as the spokesman for the Twelve. He blessed that particular apostle with the Keys of the Kingdom. That, in my book, is pretty organized. 

Some would argue that Jesus didn't actually do the organizing, but his movement organized itself after he rose from the dead. Perhaps, in true democratic fashion, they elected Peter as the pope and then Mathias to replace Judas Iscariot. That narrative persuades a lot of people despite its lack of evidence. Once you prefer your own historical theories over the gospel accounts, you've entered the Lala Land of Make-Believe. If you happen to be starting a new religion, the odds are good your theories will place you in a position of dominance over those who believe your hogwash. But why would anyone believe your peculiar ideas when they can generate their own which are just as harebrained? 

The Church trusts the integrity, witness, and tradition of the apostles. We celebrates their faith several times a year. We prefer to name them even when we know little more than their names. They are real people who kept the faith and announced the gospel just like those we have known in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries who introduced us to the Lord. We admire their courage, appreciate their integrity, and are grateful for their friendship. We make no claim to know the Lord without their companionship; gratitude will not let us do that. 

And finally, we pray that we will demonstrate the same fidelity, integrity, courage, and generosity as we invite the next generation to know and love the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.