Thursday, October 7, 2021

Memorial of Our Lady of the Rosary

 Lectionary: 464

And I tell you, ask and you will receive;
seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks, receives;
and the one who seeks, finds;
and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.


There are thousands, if not millions, of devotions used throughout the Catholic world, and throughout the centuries, but the Rosary may be the only one honored with its own day on the Roman Calendar. October 7 is chosen because the naval Battle of Lepanto was fought in the Mediterranean Sea on this day in 1571. Anticipating the battle the Pope had called on everyone to recite the rosary; the victory by Venice and its allies cleared the sea of Ottoman harassment. It permitted the free flow of goods, travelers, and communication between European cities. Had the outcome been different you and I would be living in a very different world.

The rosary is a wonderful prayer for intercession, for community, for resolving conflicts, for praising God, for honoring Mary and the saints, and for being in the presence of God. I often heard my parents praying the rosary as I drifted into sleep. I didn’t know till many years later they often quarreled, called a time out for the rosary, and then resumed their discussion.

It’s a handy companion for commuting and travelling, especially when the traffic is heavy and there are idiots on the highway. Seeing some foolishness, I may be momentarily distracted and upset but I can immediately resume my prayer. If there is a problem to be resolved, someone else will do it. We don’t need one more idiot (me!) in this motorized, fluid conversation.

Today's gospel urges us to ask, seek, and knock -- to beg God for favors. We should never forget that we need the Lord's help. This teaching runs into at least two obstacles: 1) many people consider themselves quite resourceful and suppose they can manage for themselves. The system works for them. They have no need for God. 

Secondly, nearly everyone approaches petitionary pray with the proviso, "I expect God to hear and answer my prayer according to my specifications."

That was not the Lord's intention. In this gospel he instructs his disciples -- that's us! -- how to approach the mission we're given. Which is to say prayerfully, confidently, willingly, energetically, and with a reasonable sense of modesty. We are doing God's work; God doesn't do our work. And so we ask like laborers of their employer, with the confidence that we'll be given what we need. 

More importantly, we ask because we take delight in God's presence and, while we're here, we can say, "Oh, by the way, we need some help here!' We know enough about the Gospel to accept disappointment. Whatever happens, God is still in charge, and we stand with God. Those who are crushed when their prayers are apparently not heard were not really praying.  

In the presence of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; and in the presence of Mary and all the saints; and in the presence of the Church past, present, and future, we recite the rosary. And we're grateful for the privilege of prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.