Sunday, October 31, 2021

Thirty-first Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 152

Moses spoke to the people, saying:
"Fear the LORD, your God, and keep, throughout the days of your lives, all his statutes and commandments which I enjoin on you, and thus have long life.
Hear then, Israel, and be careful to observe them, that you may grow and prosper the more, in keeping with the promise of the LORD, the God of your fathers, to give you a land flowing with milk and honey.

 


The Book of Deuteronomy may be the most important book in the Old Testament and, for that reason, the most important influence on the New Testament. Although its final edit occurred after the Exile, it clearly states the principles that govern the interpretation of the Israel's history, the prophetic writings, and wisdom books. Its promises and threats are amplified in the apocalyptic works.


The Jews, returning from Babylon, to rebuild their city and to adapt to the new way of life which confronted them, asked “What happened? Where did we go wrong?” The scholars who assembled and redacted the traditions of Moses answered, we have failed to keep all the statutes and commandments which God enjoined on us. And, we have failed to fear the Lord!


When I would explain the expression which "turns off" so many people, the fear of the Lord, I think of an explanation that came to me by way of a parable:

  1. The boy says, “I would never commit suicide. My dad would kill me if I did.” The boy has a good appreciation of his father’s paternal concern, despite the confused way he expresses it.
  2. Later, the young man might say, “I would never commit suicide. It would kill my dad.” Maturing, he has realized how his father has sacrificed and suffered for him. He is willing to endure occasional setbacks and defeats, and perhaps the affliction of depression, rather than violate his father’s affection.
  3. Finally, the mature Christian must say, “I would never kill myself. It would kill my God.” This person is remembering the sacrificial Death of Jesus, and is profoundly moved.


This fear of the Lord whom we love with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength guides our course in this complex world. Nor is this a fear of the punishing hand of a wrathful god; that caricature does not fit our experience of the Lord who is tender and compassionate. 


Rather, we fear violating the holiness, mercy, and compassion of our God. Nor would we offend the supreme dignity of God which appears in every person as their human dignity. 


In today's gospel Jesus gives us a concise summary of his ethical and moral teachings. The love of God and the love of neighbor are inseparable. Those who would measure their love of God -- perhaps seeking to justify themselves in their own eyes -- need look no further than their love for those around them. We love God no more than we love our enemies. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.