Friday, May 26, 2023

Memorial of Saint Philip Neri, Priest

 Lectionary: 301

"Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs."


Commentaries and preachers, referring to the above passage, often recall Saint Peter's renouncing any association with Jesus during the trial, only a few hours after loudly declaring his readiness to die for him. All four canonical gospels recall his thrice repeated, insistent denial. The reference is highlighted in Saint John's Gospel by the charcoal fire, the number three, and Peter's remorseful anguish. 

But we should notice the Risen Lord's response. He doesn't say, "I forgive you!" or "Forget about it." He doesn't even add a penance to atone for the sin. Rather, he says, Feed my sheep!" and "Feed my lambs." 

The Resurrection appearances of Jesus are about the mission of the Church. They are not proofs of life after death, or the resurrection of the faithful; although Saint Paul will use them for those secondary purposes in his writings. Rather, they answer the most important question, "As a believer in Jesus Christ, what should I do?" 

The first women to see the empty tomb and hear an angel's proclamation were told to,

 "...go and tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going before you to Galilee; there you will see him, as he told you.’”

 Saint Mary Magdalene was told, 

"Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

He had work to do, and so did she! The disciples, breaking bread with the Lord, immediately returned to Jerusalem to tell them what they'd seen. And when the Lord finally appeared to the Eleven in the Upper Room, he told them, "As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” and then, 

"Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

And finally,  

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.

Some Christians trouble themselves with an awareness of their sins or doubts about their faith. "O Lord, I am not worthy!" they loudly declare when directed to do something. Others muse on whether there is a God and how come scientists cannot prove it. Both are simply refusing to hear the command of the Lord to proclaim the Gospel. 

I believe it was Saint Charles de Faucauld who said, "Once I knew there was a God, I knew I must worship him." 

As Saint Paul said, not all called to be preachers or teachers, but everyone is called to belong to, and actively support the Church with their time, talent, and treasure. In 1 Corinthians 13, the Apostle teaches his understanding of love, which is neither a sentiment nor a feeling. No one is so overwhelmed with love that they can do nothing, though they might be confused for a moment. Rather, like the Magdalene, we are sent on mission. 

Pentecost arrives on Sunday. We'll recall the Lord's command and know the courage within us to, 

...proclaim the word; be persistent whether it is convenient or inconvenient; convince, reprimand, encourage through all patience and teaching. For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine but, following their own desires and insatiable curiosity, will accumulate teachers and will stop listening to the truth and will be diverted to myths. (2 Timothy 4)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.