Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Tuesday of the Sixth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 292

But because I told you this, grief has filled your hearts.
But I tell you the truth, it is better for you that I go.
For if I do not go, the Advocate will not come to you.
But if I go, I will send him to you.
And when he comes he will convict the world
in regard to sin and righteousness and condemnation....


Absence makes the heart grow fonder! Jesus might have said as he pondered his approaching passion, death, resurrection, and ascension to the Father. It seemed, at that moment, an unendurable challenge to the disciples' loyalty. How could they hope to remain faithful to his message and his way without his commanding presence? And especially after that terrible Friday? How could he expect it of them? Had they ever demonstrated even a basic grasp of his mission and purpose? 

Yes, there had a been a few preliminary missions when they went ahead of him to announce his coming. Yes, they had cured a few sick and laid hands on some to at least comfort them. But opposition was growing and they hid behind him, or stood further back, when things got a bit thick. No, they were not ready for his going away.

And where was he going anyway? They could not understand it. It made no sense. 

Time would finally demonstrate the truth of his words. And the coming of the Holy Spirit. After cowering in fear through the Passover weekend, they retreated to the same Upper Room after his Ascension, only to discover a new, unexpected willingness to announce his Passion, Death, and Resurrection to the pilgrims at Pentecost. They suddenly discovered in his absence what they had never found in his presence, a willingness to go to the ends of the earth with the story of one man, one Son of David. 

The story of Jesus, the Gospel, does not end with his crucifixion. Nor does it end with his resurrection and ascension. It must include Pentecost and the Descent of the Holy Spirit. And then, the history of the disciples who, beginning at Jerusalem, announce the Good News to the whole world. Without the Church, the story of Jesus is pointless. 

It must finally include the story of one Friar/Father Ken Bartsch, and the story of every reader of this blog. We cannot speak of Jesus without sharing what he has done for me. Hearing our stories, the gospel of our lives, the world will know that he might be gone, but he's not gone far. His absence is presence for us. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.