Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wednesday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/102611.cfm




A view of Portland and Washington State
from the Grotto
The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness;
for we do not know how to pray as we ought,
but the Spirit himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.
And the one who searches hearts
knows what is the intention of the Spirit,
because he intercedes for the holy ones
according to God's will.



Today's scriptures are ripe with both promise and threat, for the flip side of promise is always threat. An "entitled" society steeped in misconceptions about freedom might wish this were not so, but our scriptures insist upon it:
Then he will say to you,"I do not know where you are from.Depart from me, all you evildoers!"And there will be wailing and grinding of teethwhen you see Abraham, Isaac, and Jacoband all the prophets in the Kingdom of God,and you yourselves cast out.
The threat of God's retribution adds urgency to our mission. We must live within and keep the Promise, meaning we must keep the promises of our Baptism, Marriage and Ordination. We must do Penance for our sins for they do not erase themselves. The most obvious proof of that is the enduring hurt of a violated marriage; no matter how many years pass, a moment's infidelity remains to haunt the married couple until one or both have atoned for their sins, asked for pardon, and restored their covenant. 
There is, as I have said before, no excuse for sin; but there is forgiveness for those who actively seek it. 
The Spirit rushes to the aid of those who seek mercy. It gives us the words of atonement and the relief of pardon. I see this daily when I celebrate the Mass before a congregation. I see husbands and wife who love and cherish one another. I do not know their sins but I am quite sure they have suffered in their lives together. They have endured disappointment in one another, even when they remained by all the usual standards "faithful" to one another. There has been hurt and there has been healing. I see this in the softness of their countenances. 
They sit beside one another rapt in prayer, unconscious of themselves, and surrendered to the Holy Spirit which has gathered us together. I hope they see it also in my countenance, as one who has most certainly sinned, sought pardon and been forgiven. 
And people will come from the east and the westand from the north and the southand will recline at table in the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.