Saturday, June 16, 2018

Saturday of the Tenth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 364

You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow. But I say to you, do not swear at all...


When you tell the truth, it becomes part of your past; when you tell a lie, it becomes part of your future. 

I meet twice a week with Veterans in addiction rehab and present various "spiritual" topics. It's really a philosophical discussion since I have no idea what the word spiritual means. Our philosophical discussion has deep roots in western culture; without the religious trappings we're able to discuss freely how one chooses to live. 
Occasionally, I offer "For the Love of Truth." As you know, "Truth" is one of God's names. I open the discussion with, "The liar doesn't tell the truth because he doesn't know the truth. He never met her!" The liar, especially the addict, has built a life on a false foundation, "I need my stuff! Those who agree with that and help me get my stuff are friends; those who disagree and prevent me from getting my stuff are my enemies." 
We explore that idea. Not everyone agrees. It's a peculiar approach. But we all know people who can never be trusted. Whatever they say is offered with an extra ingredient of self-interest; there's an agenda behind every word. The worse liars move from place to place and job to job; they can't stay long anywhere because they're found out so easily. 
Then I offer another truism: the word fact is derived from the Latin word, facere, meaning to make. As in factory, manufacture, facsimile, and facile. Facts are things we make. Cardinal Ratzinger credits Giambattista Vico with the modern belief that truth can be manufactured as scientists discover and accumulate facts. These facts can be configured into working hypotheses and theories, which become operating principles for the mechanics of our daily life. 
Vico dismissed the beliefs that God is the origin of truth, and the Church has access to the mind of God. Scientists, he believed, could build a better truth.
And so we use facts to avoid telling the truth. For instance, (I remind my class of recovering addicts), "I am just going down to the store to buy a pack of cigarettes." It's true; it's a fact. 
But it's hiding the truth. He's going out to get a bottle of alcohol, or worse. (One fellow said he didn't come back for three years.) 
We use facts to hide the truth, to deny it, and even to hurt others. I assure the Veterans, there is no such thing as brutally honest. The truth may be hard to bear but it is never brutal. We must speak the truth in love, or remain silent. 
Truth is a safe place where we can live together. I love this picture of a dog and cat. When people speak the truth to one another, they create more than a place; they create a substantial relationship. I use the word intentionally, from my Roman Catholic tradition, which Catholics recognize from our Sunday recitation: "consubstantial with the Father..."  
A substantial relationship is more important than any of its parties; it deserves the loyalty and sacrifice of every member. A husband and wife form a substantial relationship which is more important than their relationships with their parents, children, friends, jobs or churches. We know this from the substantial covenant the Lord gave to Israel and Jesus gives to his Church. "You shall be my people, and I will be your God.
It begins by telling the truth. Often a hard truth like, "My name is ___ and I am an addict." It is indeed a narrow path that leads to life

1 comment:

  1. “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so to help your god.” That’s at least what they have a witness reply to on tv shows. Honestly, I’ve never been in a court room where that was asked.

    Your homily today makes me think of the line in the Confietor, “in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done and what I have failed to do.” It is easy to tell some facts, but to tell all the details that’s a bit scary. How easy it is to omit a few details so you will see my point of view.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.