Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Wednesday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time


There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us.


Today's gospel follows immediately after Jesus' second prediction of his passion and death, and his teaching,
“Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me; and whoever receives me, receives not me but the One who sent me.”
It precedes a dreadful curse:
"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe [in me] to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea."
The Christian disciple has been handed a welder's torch with a warning to use it carefully. If you've ever watched a professional use one of these devices you know the holy dread that should come with them.
No sooner had the Reformer Martin Luther declared his revulsion at the hypocritical ways of the Roman Catholic Church than a peasant rebellion scorched the countryside. I don't blame him. The poor farmers reacted against centuries of violent abuse. But the story reminds me of the caution we must exercise with the freedom that Luther celebrated. The former Augustinian would not -- and finally could not -- constrain the followers who exercised their own brand of freedom.
In today's gospel the disciples of Jesus warn him of an apparent problem but he refuses to act upon their concern. He seems more amused than alarmed that strangers are healing in his name. 
He may be more concerned about his disciples and their proprietary attitude toward him. As those who live in his daily company, they might consider themselves the experts on what Jesus does, thinks, feels and represents. No one can speak for Jesus but them!
On the one hand, Catholics have our doctrine of infallibility. With all due respect to the expertise of secular historians, anthropologists, sociologists, psychologists and novelists, the true interpretation of the scriptures must be shaped by the Holy Spirit. They may have interesting and helpful insights but their suggestions must be tested by the inspired tradition, which we call Magisterium.
On the other hand, we do not own the Gospel. We hope we are owned by it and always subject to it. As my Baptist friend used to say, "If God needs me to defend him, we're in very deep trouble!"
If Jesus was amused by apparent competition, we might take the same bemused attitude. As the Jewish sage Gamaliel said (and was quoted in the Acts of the Apostles),
"For if this endeavor or this activity is of human origin, it will destroy itself. But if it comes from God, you will not be able to destroy them; you may even find yourselves fighting against God.

We watch. We pray. We hope God will manage forces and powers far beyond our comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.