Saturday, July 11, 2020

Memorial of Saint Benedict, Abbot

Lectionary: 388

Then I said, “Woe is me, I am doomed! For I am a man of unclean lips, living among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”


Isaiah's first reaction upon seeing the LORD in the Temple is not "Wow!" but "I am doomed." His religion has told him no one sees the LORD and lives, although blessed visionaries of the Bible usually do. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." and Isaiah has much wisdom to learn and much to tell us of God's goodness. 
The Bible gives us a mixed message about the vision of God. At the Last Supper, Saint Philip will ask the Lord, "Show us the Father and that will be enough for us." It should be an unbelievably brazen request but the Lord's reply is not severe, 
“Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. 
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.
To know the Son is to know the Father, and to have a most amazing access to goodness. Disciples represent God in this world, with authority to bless as Jesus blesses.  They will do "the works that I do"...so long as they retain that fear of the Lord

The vision of God is not a reward for virtue. Nor is it a gift which might be granted to the worthy. One may ask for it, and hope for it, and the asking is certainly an opening, an invitation, to grace. But the Lord grants blessings for God's own purposes. They might be granted to the most unworthy person. 
Unfortunately, much of American spirituality is built around the "wow" experience. They tour America's natural spectacles and Europe's architectural wonders looking for a thrill of amazement. They create bucket lists of exhilerating things to do and places to see. Many Christians want excitement when they gather on Sunday morning. They are appalled at the prospect of boredom. That possibility alone is reason to stay home. They have no fear or wisdom. Nor do they know their purpose, which is neither to fill bucket lists nor satisfy some arbitrary standard of "a good life." 
The Prophet Isaiah, having seen what no one may dare to look upon, volunteered to announce the Kingdom of God. "Here I am!" he said, "Send me!" 
The Christian is sent by the Lord, ready to do as Jesus did, "and greater than these..." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.